Monday, March 1, 2010

37 Weeks

Today was my 37 week appointment. (We actually skipped the 36 week appointment since Dr B was going to be out of the office and I'm low risk.) There was another nurse in the office filling in for Dr B's nurse today. After getting the usual weight, BP and urine sample she put me in the exam room. She then asked if Dr B usually does a pelvic exam on me. I told her that we hadn't had one yet so I didn't know for sure. She had me go ahead and strip from the waist down "just in case". I was pretty sure that Dr B didn't routinely do internal exams, but I went ahead and complied. I guess he figured since they had "exposed" me already, he would do an exam.
As it turns out, I am making a little bit of progress. I was 2cm dilated, 25% effaced, and a -3 station. She feels really low to me, but in the grand scheme of things, I guess she's not "that" low. He said she probably wouldn't fall out today, but you never know. He doesn't like to predict when you'll go in to labor based on a pelvic exam because you can walk around 2cm dilated for weeks. We made an appointment to go back next week and went on our way to lunch and to run some errands.
While we were walking around Costco, I had a strange "gushing" sensation and figured it was just discharge that's pretty common with pregnancy. I didn't think much of it and we went on with our shopping (and I didn't say anything to Jason). We got home and I went for my (almost) hourly trip to the potty. I was surprised to find that my gush from earlier wasn't discharge at all, but blood (and a decent sized clot). I called Dr B's office and spoke with the nurse (after being on what seemed like eternal hold). She said it probably wasn't a big deal, but would check with Dr B and then call me back. She called back about 2 minutes later and said to come on back to the office and they would work me in.
I got back to the office and they got me back in the room pretty quickly. I had to wait a little while on Dr B since he had other patients that actually had appointments. He came in and we chatted about what happened. I then got another exam (only this one was more like and "annual exam" than the internal from earlier). I wasn't actively bleeding my water wasn't broken (which is what he was really concerned had happened). He said it was probably just "bloody show" and that everything looked ok. He was glad I had called though since it was more than just spotting.
So, we had little bit of "excitement" today, but nothing too big. I'm still waiting for this little girl to decide she's ready to come. I went and searched the Internet earlier (I know... google is evil...) about bloody show. Most websites say that labor usually starts within 72 hours or so. We shall see. I'm not holding my breath though :)

1 comment:

Janette said...

I'm so glad things were okay!! And YAY for progress!! It's so nice when you know that things are going as they should and you won't be pregnant forever. :)